Seiten

9/21/2014

German-American Steuben Parade

Hej, 

Yesterday I was to tired to blog, so I'll do it right now. Why I was tired? Well, my day started at 8:30am yesterday, pretty early for a Saturday, right? 
So I stood up at 8:30 am, made myself ready in a hurry and headed to the train at 9:30.
Catched the 10 am train and reached Grand Central at 10:40. Grabbed breakfast at Starbucks and hurried up to 5th Ave; 75th Street to watch the German-American Steuben Parade and it was totally worth it to Star up that early!

I got a first Row place close to the Grand stand at 79th Street, so I had an awesome view on the parade and on the Central Park behind it. 
Next to me were a couple from Donauwörth and one of their friends, whose adult children participated the parade. 
The parade took about two hours until all parade floats and german musicians passed the Grand stand. 
The participants came from all german speaking areas like German Cities, Swiss cities and Austrian cities and even American based German communities participated, which made the parade really multifaced. 

After watching the parade I did a little uptown tour. I went to the Central Park, visited the lakes and the conservatory water, heared the oktoberfest, which was unfortunately sold out and saw some kind of a chess championship until I decided to eat in the Zoo restaurant - expensive! 5$ for a simple hotdog.

My way back to grand central became a sightseeing tour aswell, because I decided to visit the New York Palace Hotel, the Waldorf-Astoria and the amazing building of the United Nations, which was really impressive for me! Did I told you that I participated their junior Modell United Nations three times?

And I ask myself, what was going on in New York City. The hotels mentioned were guarded by the police, more than I saw before, and there were police barricades everywhere! 
And in front of the UN Building I saw two demonstrations. 
By the way, when I walked up to the 75th Street a man shouted: There (pointing in the sky), that's the Air Force one! 
Do you know what was in Manhattan yesterday? I'm just so curios about it.

See u. 









No comments:

Post a Comment