Seiten

1/02/2015

New Years in New York


Hey, 

I finally made my dream come true! I celebrated NYE on Times Square and saw the Ball Drop live! 

The evening was really exhausting, but for me it was worth it to wait 6 hours in the cold to see a tiny ball dropping. And after all the time waiting went by so fast! You ask yourself why?
Well, because of all the people! 
In the middle of the crowd between 50th and 51th Street on Broadway we met so many interesting people from all over the world, who made the evening so much fun. 
But, to start at the beginning: 

We finally reached our spot around 5:30 pm, 6,5 hours before the event and after 1 or 2 hours of freezing and boredom, we decided to sit down for a moment and out of the nothing about 10 other people decided to sit down as well. At first we just sat there and talked and than we started to play charade, which was so much fun! At 8:30, 3,5 hours to go, we stood up again, because the police opened a gate, so that people were able to move closer to Time Square. When the crowd calmed down again we sat down again, but this time with less people. This time we were just the 3 girls of us and a boy from New Jersey, whose friends went back to their hotel. We tried to make time pass, with the craziest ideas: We hat a camp fire, on his phone; we counted my walnuts and celebrated every passing hour. Of course we also played charade again, and this time other people joined us again. 
When I looked on my watch the next time it was already 11:15, 45 min to go. At this point I finally realized: I'm on Times Square! On NYE! I am going to see the Ball Drop, LIVE! 
We played one final round of charade before we stood up at 11:45 to prepare ourselves for the upcoming event. 

11:59, the countdown started and we all felt relieved. The Ball Drop was finally happening, directly in front of us, in our view. It was a childhood dream coming true! 
As soon as the ball was down and the firework ended we made our way to the nearest restaurant: Applebee's. 
We and all the strangers we spent our evening with rounded this special NYE off with some nice conversations and dinner there. At 2:30am we left the restaurant and hurried to Grand Central to drive back to Tarrytown. Reaching my bed I felt asleep immediately.
The next day I woke up at 8am to watch the New Years Day competition of the Four Hills Tournament, which seemed crazy to a lot of people. Afterwards I spent the whole day in bed! Just for dinner I stood up again. 

After all this was a really special NYE for me. I really enjoyed it, but I'm already looking forward to spent my NYE in a warm climate some day. 

See u.  












1 comment:

  1. So cool, I'm so jealous! I love your stories. september 2016 I go to New York with EF, thanks for sharing your stories!

    ReplyDelete