Seiten

11/28/2014

Thanksgiving Day


Hey, 

Yesterday was Thanksgiving, a traditional American Holiday I never experienced before. As you already know, I signed up to have dinner at an American family, but let me start at the beginning. 

Me and some friends took the train to Manhattan at 6am an reached the 66St at 7:30, then we bought some coffee and breakfast at Starbucks and went to see the, guess what, MACY'S THANKSGIVING PARADE! And oh my goodness, I'm still excited! At first we struggled to find a good spot, but then we found a spot with a good view. We were even able to see the Marching Bands, or at least their hats.
I'm not sure how long the Parade was, because I wasn't able to stay till the end, since the Family wanted to pick us up at 1pm at the Campus, but I saw at least 2,5 hours of the Parade. 
Related to that I didn't see all floats and Balloons, but my Roommate Sofia promised me to send me her photos soon. 

Luckily I reached the Campus at 12:30, so that I had a little time leftover to prepare myself for the dinner. We reached the family's house at 13:30 and met a lot of people, immediately. We met the Hostmother and Father, their kids and Grandparents and later the Fathers brother, his wife and daughters, so with Marleen and me we were 12 people for dinner. 
But during our stay the family had some other visitors as well: The Hostmothers sister came by with her husband and their baby girl, who was sooo cute.  And then friends of them came over with their children.

The dinner itself was amazing, I really enjoyed the turkey and the stuffing and everything! It was sooo good. And I loved the Deserts as well, Pies and cookies with Icecream. 

Menu: 
1. Course
Soup
2. Course  
Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, beans , carrots, gravy, cranberry sauce, zucchini bread and bread buns
3. Course
Apple Pie, Pecan Pie, Bread Pudding, Vanilla Ice cream, Cookies, Brownies 

It was simply delicious! 

The family was really nice and they were really diverse. They all lived all over the world, and they were Jewish, Catholic and atheistic. I mean they had different religions and opinions and came together for Thanksgiving, which was really interesting, especially when they started to debate after dinner. 

We were brought home at 8pm, tired but full, and with an invitation for Christmas. 

See u. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment