Seiten

11/22/2014

Halftime low

Hey, 

I'm here now for 11 weeks, which means that it's nearly halftime! On one hand I'm impressed of how fast the time went by, but on the other hand I've started to count the weeks until I'll go home.

The last week I was often out of humor. I feel tired and bored which might be related to my illness the previous week, but it made me think: Was this a good idea? Are 6 months to long? How will I get through another 12 weeks?
And I don't know how to answer this questions for me...

The school isn't really interesting, the themes are random and the grammar isn't new either. The people here are nice, but who of them do I really know? There are stil Origin-based groups, which separate seldomly, so you are nearly allways hanging out with people from your country, which isn't bad, but you won't learn anything new then..

And of course New York is awesome, but I already know a lot of it like the back of my hand. 
I saw nearly all touristic attractions and I had many untouristic experiences as well. 
There are only 10-15 points I still want to see or do, but they all spread over the next months, like New Years Eve on Times Square or the Super Bowl. Related to that there will be many days and weekens, without anything to do, like today. And on those days you think about home, about your friends, and about how to spent your time better at home anyway..

I still have 13 weeks (92 days) and only a few things to do or see left. How should I spent the rest of my time here?
Of course I'll go to Miami for a week
And to Washington D.C. and Boston for a weekend, but that won't fill my calendar either.

If you start from the premise that I won't go to the City on schooldays there are still 10 weekens and 2 weeks of Christmas Holidays left (34 days) and no matter what I plan, I'll never be able to fill all those days with something fun to do! 
Even If I would have 34 activities in New York, they would never fill a day, and It would be far to expensive to go there that often. 

What do all the locals do here all year? They definitely won't visit the touristic hotspots that often and they definitely won't go shopping every day or to New York in general, so what do they do? 
I think that's the point: the locals live here, they have a real home, and not just a shared dorm room. They have TVs and books, and all-day open kitchens. They aren't dependent of the Cafeteria and they have games at home and family. They have all their friends here, to meet up with. They have jobs and a real life here.

After all I would say, even If it sounds sad, New York nearly lost its glow for me. I just can't imagine to spent here so much time again! Of course It's great for vacations, but if you know the City you don't need to go here for Vacation any longer than 2 weeks.

See u.




No comments:

Post a Comment